Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mannies and Babies

Our SMT's were our babies for many years. Now we have a two legged baby added to the mix. Piper and Wrigley lived in a baby free zone for 7 and 4 years respectively so it was a big adjustment for them. I have to admit the first two weeks that Alyssa was home were a bit hectic. Not only did the dogs have to deal with new sounds and a wiggly little person, they had a very hormonal "Mama Bear" to contend with.

The dogs have transitioned well and I'm very pleased with how things are going. It's fun to see how they interact.

Piper is quick with kisses on the baby's bare feet. Twice as quick when a cheerio hits the floor. She has also done the most adjusting. Very in touch with her terrier side, Piper wasn't sure the crying, wiggling bundle of joy needed to be in our house at first but with patience and time has come to realize that Alyssa can be a lot of fun.

Wrigley was very good with the baby right off the bat. He's a mother hen and is hot on my heels when I enter the baby's room each morning. He is very gentle and when the baby crawls near him, he flips over onto his back in surrender. I think they'll be great friends in the future.

When the dogs are around Alyssa, I'm very watchful. Derek would probably say too watchful! However, it's better to be safe. Alyssa is learning how to be respectful of the dog's space and to be gentle and the dogs are learning to accept Alyssa.

I'd enjoy hearing other member's stories about their dogs and children.

Submitted by: Janice Thompson

1 comment:

  1. This Christmas when the whole family was at my parents' both of my manchesters and my father's beagle got into a little a three way tug'o'war with a squeaky toy.

    This is relatively normal and I didn't think anything of it until I looked over to see my 11 month nephew todder into the middle of the snarling dogs and grab the toy.

    My two immediately dropped it and when the beagle continued to growl and tug our female snapped at him to make him let go. My nephew promptly stuck the toy into his mouth and todder away with two manchesters at his heels.

    It's funny, they don't like adults they don't know but young children are just fine.

    ReplyDelete